Mrs. Stelling

Saturday, May 19, 2012

Choir-Our Strong Connection



As I reflect on my school year, it was a rough one.  One of the hardest years I have had in the 19 years I've been teaching.  13 classes a day, no planning time, some tough cookies, but there was a bright spot for me. Choir.  I was able to start a 4th and 5th grade Bobcat Choir with the support of my wonderful Principal, and amazing classroom teachers. It not only helped the 'no planning time' part, it gave me a different perspective on what 4th and 5th graders are made of. I really have to take into account the writing of my students. I had them share their thoughts about what they felt they had learned in music this year via an evaluation of their musical performance. Wow.  I was blown away by their thoughtfulness, their willingness to share, and the impact music had made in their lives. Some of my favorites were these:

    "I didn't know singing could mean so much to me!"

    "I learned patience and self-control."  (wanted to hear more from this student)

    "I didn't know music was this hard, until choir practices. "

    "I will share my gifts-even if the butterflies keep coming!"

    "Music is my life."

    "I LOVE MY VOICE!"

    "Can we have Choir everyday?"

    "I didn't give my best."  (Someone is learning how our Choir Motto fits into their own life.  "Good, Better, Best, Never let it rest, til your Good is Better and Your Better is Best!"-Thanks Gretchen)

    "Listening is really tough-not just with my ears, but with everything."

    "I loved watching YouTube videos and then sharing what we thought with others."

    "I learned how to read music-the 2-part thing was confusing at first, not now!"

    "To show expression on my face and 'tell the story' of the song."

    "Making music with a group is really cool."

    "Repeating songs over and over was killing me!"

    "Vowels are important."

    "I love being a conductor like you, Mrs. Stelling."

    "I loved it when we sang and people at the mall cried."

While there were a few negatives in their writing, I focused on the positive.  Music is the most powerful tool I know, to touch a young life.  Any life. It touches the heart and the brain and connects them in the most beautiful way humanly possible. We ended the year by watching our last YouTube video together and most of us ended up in tears or thoughtful reflection.  Music touched us all.


I am looking forward to another year with kids, singing together and learning more than they thought they could. 


Note to self: Blogging is harder than I thought.  I really thought that once a month, I could do this.  I could sit down and reflect on my teaching, my students, our future.  I have failed miserably and will probably beat myself up for a while.  I WILL do better.

  
  

    


No comments:

Post a Comment